Wavelength conversion by four-wave mixing (FWM) has been demonstrated in single-mode ﬁber , semiconductor lasers , and semiconductor optical ampliﬁers (SOA''s) , . Of these FWM converters, only the SOA allows a tunable pump source. For a wavelength converter …
of , where increasing conversion penalty was demon-strated for high OSNR inputs, to a thorough experimental and numerical analysis of a ˜(3) wavelength converter. Instead of only characterizing the nonlinear medium, we focus on the complete system and study the origins of impairments associated with the entire conversion process.
· Four-wave mixing (FWM)-based wavelength conversion in silicon nanowire waveguides are numerically investigated by considering the power-attenuated phase-matched condition due to the linear loss and the nonlinear loss caused by two-photon absorption and free carrier absorption effects.
Four-wave mixing - Wikipedia
· Because of its wavelength conversion ability and phase preservation, semiconductor optical amplifier (SOA) fourwave mixing (FWM) has attracted much attention. We experimentally study wavelength conversion of 40 Gbit/s (20 Gbaud) non-return-to-zero (NRZ)-DQPSK data using FWM in a quantum dash SOAwith 20 dB gain and 5 dBm output saturation power.
Based on the four-wave mixing (FWM) effect in the proposed PCF, the all-optical wavelength conversion performance is numerically analyzed. When the pumping wavelength is 4.02 µm, the 3 dB conversion bandwidth can reach 4833 nm (from 2.737 µm to 7.57 µm), and the maximum wavelength conversion efficiency is 12.12 dB.
· Wavelength conversion by cross-gain modulation in a semiconductor optical amplifier 8. Four-wave mixing. The four-wave mixing phenomenon that occurs because of nonlinearities in the transmission medium can also be utilized to realize wavelength conversion. Four-wave mixing is usually an undesirable phenomenon in fibers.
· (a) Schematic illustration of all-optical wavelength conversion of data signals based on four-wave mixing (FWM) in a nonlinear microring resonator on an AlGaAs-on-insulator (AlGaAsOI) chip. [(b) and (c)] Scanning electron microscopy (SEM) pictures of an AlGaAsOI microring resonator with a diameter of 34.4 µ m (b) and the cross section of its ...
Low-noise, tunable wavelength-conversion through non-degenerate four-wave mixing Bragg scattering in SiNx waveguides is experimentally demonstrated. Finite element method simulations of waveguide dispersion are used with the split-step Fourier method to predict device performance, and indicate a strong dependence of
Wavelength conversion methods are optoelectronic, optical gating, interferometric, and wave mixing. These methods are described below. Optoelectronic: This type of optical wavelength converter is variable input, fixed output type as mentioned above. It converts the input signal first to electrical form, regenerates it and transmits it using the ...
By use of the novel loop configuration, nonreturn-to-zero wavelength conversion at 10 Gbits/s is achieved. The FWM-to-pump ratio, the FWM-to-signal ratio, and the signal-to-noise ratio are improved by 17.9, 18.8, and 8.2 dB, respectively.
· We demonstrated four-wave mixing (FWM) with two pumps in a wavelength selectable laser to achieve a wide conversion bandwidth. Non-degenerated FWM with dual pumps in SOAs has been proposed to flatten the conversion efficiency variation accompanied with the variation of detunings between input signal and output conjugate.
Four-wave mixing (FWM) in semiconductor optical amplifiers (SOAs) is currently one of the most attractive and promising wavelength conversion techniques for the all-optical future, and offers numerous advantages to the system designer. This paper investigates the performance of a 2.5 Gb/s SOA-based FWM wavelength converter system, in terms of its shifted wavelength conversion …
1 All-Optical Wavelength Conversion Using Four Wave Mixing. Speaker: Ying Tang. 1/17/2020. Good morning, everyone. Today I will introduce a new nonlinear effect, called four wave mixing, to achieve the wavelength convrsion in optical domain.
· But the phenomenon of four wave mixing can be used as a wavelength converter to convert the wavelength of an information carrying signal to another wavelength. In this paper investigation has been done on four wave mixing based wavelength conversion at 10 Gbps data rate over a 100 km long optical fiber link.
Abstract: We propose and demonstrate all-optical mode-selective wavelength conversion in a silicon waveguide. The mode-selective wavelength conversion relies on strong four-wave mixing when pump and signal light are on the same spatial mode, while weak four-wave mixing is obtained between different modes due to phase mismatch.
· Krzczanowicz, L., Connelly, M.J.: 40 Gb/s NRZ-DQPSK data all-optical wavelength conversion using four wave mixing in a bulk SOA. IEEE Photonics Technol. Lett. 25(24), 2439–2441 (2013) ADS Article Google Scholar
a) Wavelength conversion using wave-mixing: Wave-mixing arises from a nonlinear optical response of a medium when more than one wave. 2. is present (see Fig. 6). It results in the generation of another wave whose intensity is proportional to the product of the interacting wave intensities. Wave-mixing
Two schemes for ultrabroad-band wavelength converters based on four-wave mixing in a semiconductor optical amplifier are proposed, both utilizing a conventional semiconductor optical amplifier (SOA) and two orthogonal-pump waves. In scheme I, the efficiency of wavelength conversion is measured for the wavelength shifts from 1500 nm to 1640 nm.
Abstract: Wavelength conversion using fiber four-wave mixing in an optical fiber is demonstrated. Utilizing the wavelength region around the zero-dispersion wavelength of a fiber, 622 Mbt/s FSK signal light is converted from 1555.2 to 1547.6 nm with a conversion efficiency of -24 dB.
Four-wave-mixing phenomenon can be used effectively for wavelength conversion by using a phenomenological method as shown in fig.2 . Fig.2.Phenomical description of wavelength conversion through FWM The numerical setup for the FWM-based wavelength converter is shown in Fig.3. Fig.3.The numerical setup for the FWM-based wavelength converter
We propose an all-optical wavelength conversion method that can preserve the polarization information of an original signal based on four-wave mixing in a semiconductor optical amplifier. Using this method, we experimentally demonstrate wavelength conversion for a 10-Gb/s polarization shift keying signal with 1.6-dB power penalty at a 10−9 ...
· A novel approach based on the artificial neural network (ANN) and the genetic algorithm (GA) is presented for optimization of four-wave mixing (FWM) wavelength conversion in a quantum dot semiconductor optical amplifier (QD-SOA). First of all, we propose a simple, accurate, and fast model based on the feedforward ANN for the characteristics of FWM in a QD-SOA.
Four-wave mixing (FWM) is an intermodulation phenomenon in non-linear optics, whereby interactions between two or three wavelengths produce two or one new wavelengths is similar to the third-order intercept point in electrical systems. Four-wave mixing can be compared to the intermodulation distortion in standard electrical systems. It is a parametric nonlinear process, in that the energy ...
LEE et al.: CASCADED WAVELENGTH CONVERSION BY FOUR-WAVE MIXING 753 (a) (b) Fig. 1. (a) A schematic of the detailed conﬁguration of a FWM wavelength converter with signal input at the left and converted signal output at the right; and (b) the experimental setup for cascaded wavelength conversion spanning 40 km transmission in a single-mode ﬁber.
Keywords: Wavelength conversion; four-wave mixing; silicon waveguide. Abstract All-optical wavelength conversion is investigated using four-wave mixing in silicon waveguides. The influences of nonlinear losses caused by two-photon absorption (TPA) and TPA-induced free-carrier absorption on the conversion
A wavelength conversion apparatus and method uses four wave mixing of a first wavelength and a control wavelength in an optical fiber to convert the first wavelength to a desired wavelength. Four wave mixing is produced by operating the optical fiber at a predetermined input power density and by using a fiber length which provides substantial Raman gain.
A proposal for enhancing four-wave mixing in slow light engineered photonic crystal waveguides and its application to optical regeneration By Mohammad K Moravvej-Farshi Polarization-insensitive and widely tunable wavelength conversion for polarization shift keying signal based on four wave mixing …
SOA as a Wavelength Converter (FWM) This lesson demonstrates the application of traveling wave SOA as a wavelength converter using the four-wave mixing effect. Four-wave mixing (FWM) is a nonlinear effect that takes place when two waves (signal and pump) at different wavelengths are injected into an SOA. A third optical field is generated at ...
wavelength conversion. There are many functional applications for SOAs, one of which is wavelength conversion. We represent two wavelength conversion mechanisms using SOA (Semiconductor Optical Amplifiers), these are FWM (Four wave Mixing) and Cross Gain Modulation (XGM). We analysis Q value for both the techniques and also represent them with
· Optical frequency conversion, in which the color of light is changed, is a process that has numerous applications in physics and technology. For example, green laser pointers typically involve second harmonic generation, where a strong beam produced by a laser at 1064 nm is frequency doubled in a nonlinear crystal to produce a visible beam at 532 nm. From the perspective of quantum and ...
concerning the application of SOA-based four-wave mixing to wavelength conversion of high bit rate base-band digital optical signals. A general block diagram for the wavelength converter used in the experiments described below is shown in Fig. 1(c). The converter''s optical pump source is a tunable, external-cavity diode laser.
we present a comprehensive numerical study on the all-optical wavelength conversion based on the degenerate four-wave-mixing with continuous-wave pumping in the silicon nanowire waveguide. it is well known that the conversion efficiency and the 3-db bandwidth can be greatly affected by the phase-matching condition. through proper design of the ...
Abstract- In this paper, we discussed on Four-wave-mixing (FWM) based wavelength conversion at 1.55 µm and 1.552 µm using six different types of commercial optical fibers. For a pump peak power of 6.2W, a numerical simulation is used to predict the performance of each type of fibers for different ...
In this study, we demonstrate error-free all-optical wavelength conversion of ultrahigh-speed intensity modulated signals by means of four-wave mixing in a quantum-dot semiconductor optical amplifier. Error-free performance at a bit rate of 320 Gbit/s is measured for the extracted 40 Gbit/s tributar …
· We present a comprehensive numerical study on the all-optical wavelength conversion based on the degenerate four-wave-mixing with continuous-wave pumping in the silicon nanowire waveguide. It is well known that the conversion efficiency and the 3-dB bandwidth can be greatly affected by the phase-matching condition.
INOUE: POLARIZATION INDEPENDENT WAVELENGTH CONVERSION USING FIBER FOUR-WAVE MIXING A,1 and As2 are expansion coefficients, which depend on the polarization state of the signal light. Substituting (2) and (4) into (1) with (3a) and (3b), the following equation is obtained.
· Wavelength Conversion using Multi-Pump Raman-assisted Four-Wave Mixing Abstract: We proposed to use multi-pump Raman amplifier to assist four-wave-mixing based wavelength conversion. We achieved a conversion efficiency bandwidth of 10 nm and power penalty of ~1 dB at BER of 10 -9 at 10 Gb/s.
We present for the first time an all-optical wavelength conversion (AOWC) scheme supporting modulation format independency without requiring phase matching. The new scheme is named "spoof" four wave mixing (SFWM) and in contrast to the well-known FWM theory, where the induced dynamic refractive index grating modulates photons to create a wave at a new frequency, the SFWM is …
conversion efficiency for wavelength down-conversion is believed to be caused by phase interferences that exist between various mechanisms contributing to the four-wave mixing process. I. INTRODUCTION 0 ~CAL wavelength conversion devices are expected to play an important role in future broadband multichan- ne1 lightwave systems.
· Wavelength conversion of 28 gbaud 16-qam signals based on four-wave mixing in a silicon nanowire. Opt. express 22, 4083–4090 (2014). ADS Article PubMed CAS Google Scholar
This paper reviews wavelength conversion technologies for photonic network systems. A simple method of four-wave mixing (FWM) wavelength conversion using a λλλ/4-shifted DFB laser and one using a polarization-maintaining highly-nonlinear dispersion-shifted fiber (PM-HNL-DSF) are presented. For both wavelength conversions, transmission
3. WAVELENGTH CONVERSION BY FIBER FOUR-WAVE MIXING 3.1 Significance of Wavelength Converters Wavelength converter is simply a device for converting the injected signal light from one wavelength to another.8)~13) It therefore is seen to have great promise in configuring the photonic networks of the future using optical cross con-nects.
a four-wave mixing (FWM)-based wavelength converter. 30-nm wavelength down-conversion and 15-nm up-conversion have been obtained at 10 Gb/s. This result is a signiﬁcant improvement over the previous best performance of a FWM-based wavelength converter and suggests that the full erbium-doped ﬁber amplifer
· It is mainly used for wavelength conversion. To investigate the factors that affect the wavelength conversion efficiency, the evolution of Four-wave mixing (FWM) in silicon waveguide is modeled using matlab. The method of modeling is described. The effects of input pump power and waveguide length on the conversion efficiency are investigated.